Tuesday, August 6, 2013

First Day of Kindergarten

We have been talking about it for months and it has finally arrived; Aiden's first day of Kindergarten!  He was well prepared and had shown no signs of nervousness in the previous weeks.  He did great at open house and the other times we had to go to the school for paperwork.
 
 
He woke up bright and early and when I said, "You're going to Kindergarten today!" he said, "I know, I know".  The boy just doesn't show much excitement (unless we're talking about speedometers in fast cars).  He ate his cereal and got dressed, we headed out the door.  We walked in and looked for his classroom number (310)- he remembered from open house.  I could tell he was getting nervous.  We found the room and Mrs. Williams said to get out his crayons and showed him where to hang his bookbag.  He followed instructions and found a seat at an empty table that had a paper to color.  He didn't want to sit at the table where other children were already sitting.  As I spoke with the teacher, he fumbled with his crayons and broke the box; crayons rolled on the table and onto the floor.  I looked at him and saw that his eyes filled with tears.  I assured him that it was okay and helped him pick up his crayons (as I'm fighting back tears myself).  I gave him a hug and said, "I love you".  As his arms wrapped around me I could feel him shaking.  I walked out and practically sprinted to the car where I got in closed the door and lost it! 
 

 
Everything in me wanted to stay there with him, but I knew I had to leave.  He was trying to be so tough (exactly what we have been teaching him to do).  He knew that I would leave, and he was probably reassuring himself in his 5-year old little mind that it would be okay and that I would be back to pick him up.  His teacher notified me a few hours after we arrived (via email) that he was doing so well and she was using him as an example.  I felt so relieved.  I couldn't be more proud of him.  He is an amazing little boy and I know he will do great things one day!
 
Day 2 was very smooth- he walked right in and was much more comfortable; even said hi to some of his classmates.    

No comments:

Post a Comment