Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ty's first day

Ty has been looking forward to going to pre-school all summer long.  The past few weeks he has been a little more nervous about it and he's been telling me, "I'm going to cry at school".  We would remind about all the fun things he would do.  We've been counting down the days (especially since Aiden started Kindergarten).  Ty was so excited to pack his book bag and write "T Y" on all of his supplies; he even wore his book bag around the house many times.
This morning he woke up and was very excited.  We ate breakfast, got dressed, took pictures (of course) and headed out the door. 

 We dropped Aiden off at his school and then went to Ty's school.  We walked in and saw some of Aiden's old friends and teachers.  Ty was very shy and kept quiet when everyone said "Hi" to him.  We were half way down the hall when he started to get upset.  I calmed him down and we went by the water fountain for a drink.  We got to his classroom and found the seat with his name.  Ms. Casey told Ty he could sit down and play with Legos or Potato Head with the other kids.  Ty stood completely still and didn't want to move.  He refused to smile for a picture (notice Mark's little legs in the background as he tries to crawl into a cubby). 
 
I told Ty that Mark and I were leaving and he started to cry.  I asked for a hug and he said no, but quickly changed his mind when I headed for the door.  He gave me a hug and started screaming.  I grabbed Mark and got out of there fast.  I knew that Ty would not be upset long and I knew he was in good hands.  His teacher has a daughter who was in Aiden's class last year and we have become friends.  Ms. Robin called me shortly after we left and said Ty was doing great! 
 
When I came to pick Ty up he was playing with cars on the floor with 2 other boys.  He had a smile on his face and he wanted to tell me all about his day.  He told me that he colored and stayed in the lines, that he painted a picture, played on the playground, ate his snack, learned a prayer song and that he was a good boy.  Ms. Casey told me that he was such a helper; wanting to help pass out papers and wipe tables.  I know this year will be a great experience for him at school and I'm excited to watch him learn!
 
On Day 2, when I drove into the parking lot, Ty said to me, "Mom, I don't need you to walk in with me".  Well, I guess he's Mr. Independent.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment