Friday, December 6, 2013

Stitches

I guess it was only a matter of time before it happened.  Our first Emergency Hospital visit was tonight.  Aiden fell off his bike and now has 13 stitches.  Here's the story:  
Jeff was off today and I was planning on attending our annual Women's Candelight dinner at church.  I had just finished doing my hair and make up and went to sit outside with the boys.  Jeff had just had a discussion with Aiden and Ty about wearing their helmets.  Aiden said to him, "but I never fall off my bike".  Jeff insisted that he wear it, and reluctantly Aiden put it on.  A few minutes later we heard Aiden screaming.  I didn't rush to him because the boys have had many falls where its just a bruise or a scrape and I had just answered a phone call.  Jeff had Aiden in his arms and came towards me and I saw the blood, hung up my phone and we brought him inside.  I'll never forget the terrified look on Aiden's face; he had blood dripping into his eye.  We sat him down in the kitchen and at first Jeff thought his eye was injured.  Aiden was histerical and screaming.  I looked at the cut on his eyebrow and then noticed his chin.  I looked at Jeff and said "We need to go".  Jeff then tells Aiden that he probably needs to have stitches and Aiden screamed, "I don't wanna have stitches".  I dont even think he understood what they were, but he didn't want to go.  I made a few phone calls, Chief came to watch Ty and Mark and we were on our way to Children's Healthcare Urgent Care.  Aiden calmed down in the car, but a few times he said, "I'm trying, but I can't stop crying".  Jeff handed him his phone so he could play the "racecar game" and that got his mind off things.  

Papa met us at the hospital to check on Aiden.  The waiting room was full; lots of babies and toddlers coughing and even throwing up.  There were only a few available seats.
They took him back right away and the nurse was impressed with the severity of the cut on his chin.  She laid him down and put numbing cream on both cuts.  Aiden was so still and quiet; he flinched a few times and I knew it was painful, but he never made a sound.  The nurse told him he handled it better than a 15 year old would have.  We were thankful that he went back so quickly and I thought to myself, "I might be able to make the dinner".  Little did we know, they would send us back out to the waiting room for about 2 and a half hours.  Aiden wasn't in pain anymore, so Jeff took him to the car to wait; I stood in the germ infested waiting room for hours.


Finally we were called back for him to get his stitches.  The nurse cleaned both cuts.  It was a good thing he was numb, because she basically hosed him down (with force).  Again, he was a great patient and was very still.



A few minutes later the doctor came in to sew him up.  He was very friendly and great with kids.  Aiden was telling him all about what he learns at school and then Dr. Eanes sang songs to him.  The doctor said the scar would probably look bad because there were chunks of skin missing.  He even suggested plastic surgery later on (uh . . . probably not!)  I held his hand while they stitched his eyebrow, but I had to sit down when they did his chin.  I got a little light headed and Jeff took my place.  The doc told me if I passed out, he would only pick me up after Aiden was done. :-)  I was fine, but seeing my little boy like that just got to me.  I was so proud of him because he did such a great job while we were there, never cried or complained.
Jeff encouraged me to go to the dinner, but I didn't want to leave.  It really wasn't an option for me; and looking back I think Jeff and I needed each other.  We left and got Aiden the milkshake he was promised.  It was late and we were all pretty tired.  With three boys, people have been warning me about the injuries for years.  Were lucky to have gone 5 1/2 years without one, but now we have one in the books.  It could have been a lot worse and I am thankful for the timing, great nurses and a doctor and that my Aiden is just fine.  God was watching over us and we know He always will.



No comments:

Post a Comment