Monday, August 13, 2012

Aiden's First Day

We had been preparing Aiden all summer for school; riding by his school frequently, and talking about it constantly.  I feel like it was yesterday I was telling him, "you'll start school in 3 more months".  He would ask me constantly, "How much longer until I start school?"  The day finally arrived and he was ready- the book bag was packed, and his clothes laid out.  I had to wake him up and he was a little difficult to get motivated this morning.  I made the boys pancakes and berries for breakfast.  As we headed out the door, Aiden was full of questions, "How many hours will I stay there?", "Will you walk in the school with me?", "What are we going to do at school?" etc.  I was nervous for him because I know he is uncomfortable in new environments with new people.  Ty was very excited all morning, anxious and ready. 

At school, Ty and I walked him in and he knew exactly what to do; hang his book bag up and find his name at the table.  Again, he was asking me questions to delay my leaving.  I told him that it was time for mom to leave and he waved bye and started playing with the blocks on his table.  I asked one of the other moms to peek in the door at him and she said he was fine.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did when I left.  Ty wanted to stay at school with Aiden and told me numerous times, "I'm 4 now".  It was so weird leaving Aiden and I kept watching the time because I just wanted to turn around and go pick him up.  Ty kept saying, "I want to go to Aiden's school right now".  He was bored without his brother around to play with.






When I pulled up to school, I saw Aiden smiling and playing on the playground with other kids; it was great to see how well he was doing.  The teacher told me he was the only one to get upset, but he quickly got over it. 
When he got in the car I asked what he did, he told me "I didn't play games, I just sat and listened".  He told me he colored a picture, but didn't use his other supplies (markers, paints, pencils).  I asked why he cried and he said, "because you didn't give me a kiss".  I said I would give him a kiss tomorrow and he was surprised that he would be going back tomorrow.  I said, "you will go 4 times" and he asked, "because I'm 4?" and I just went with it and said "yes".  Aiden told me he went potty "like 6 times" at school.  That was about all the information I got out of him about school, but he is already more comfortable and familiar with it.  I am so excited about what he will learn and how this experience will shape him.  It was a great first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment